Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Punjab Trip

I had to travel to Punjab & Haryana recently as I had to attend the wedding of my friend in Fatehabad. I left early on 22nd Feb for the wedding venue. I got up at 4 am, usually I get up at 5 am for the Sadhana. I had my cold shower and did my meditation and daily baanis. Then I got ready and left for the wedding. The whole day went by attending the function and traveling. We got to his place in Punjab after the Anand Karaj at around 9:30 Pm and were really tired by then. After having dinner we left for Ludhiana to my Aunt’s Place. After meeting and talking with my aunt’s family we went to sleep at around 12 pm. By the grace of Siri Guru Ram Das Ji I was able get up on time and did the Jaap of Mool Mantra for 40 Minutes as I forgot my Gudka in the car (I hope I can count this as Sadhana routine for the day). Then went back to sleep and got up later did my baanis on my way to Nanaksar. I have coming to Nanaksar for sometime now. I first went there with my parents I was around 12-13 yr old. This was my 5 trip there. For sometime now I feel a yearning in me to visit the place after every few weeks or months. I do feel the same yearning to visit bhora Sahib. It’s the place which Baba Nand Singh Ji got built for him lower then the ground level to be used as his living quarter and meditation space. He always resided or sat on a place lower then the level where Siri Guru Granth Sahib would be at. It used to be a temporary structure made of thatch, dried wood and clay walls. It only after him, his successor Baba Ishar Singh Ji got the place constructed as a permanent structure in his memory.

One of the things that I like about Nanaksar is that you need to pay a certain fee to visit the Bhora Sahib. This fee is called Darshan Bhetta. Baba Nand Singh Ji said a Sikh not only needs to take a Dasvandh (One Tenth Part) out of his earning for the Guru but he is bound to take a Dasvandh from his time for the Guru also. So he prophesed of that 2 and Half hours of time from a day should go into Meditation or Jaap of Baanis. So his successors placed this fee or Darshan Bhetta that whoever wants to visit the Bhora Sahib Has to Pledge that during the 30 days passing the visit one has to complete one of the following tasks:

One complete Sahij Path of Siri Guru Granth Sahib
50 Paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib
300 Paath of Japji Sahib
180 Maala of Mool Mantra up to Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach
2400 Maala of Waheguru Mantra
For non-sikh Sangat Equivalent Jaap of “Ram” or “Allah” is proposed

I think this does help in inculcating a habit of Naam Jap during the day while doing the daily chores. I completed my month long commitment the way I visited the Nanaksar and have restarted with another month long Jaap. I usually do the 180 Maala of Mool Mantra. As it can be done while driving, Walking, Sitting or working. So it’s easier for me that way.

Then we returned back to Ludhiana and got ready for the Evening Reception at Malerkotla. The Nawaab of Malerkotla had raised his voice in the court of Governor of Sirhind against the execution of Younger Sahibzadas Baba Zorawar Singh Ji and Baba Fateh Singh Ji. We attended the dinner and left for Delhi late in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment